Today I had this patient who came to see me – and like always – even before saying a courteous hello or having a glass of water – she jumped up on the weighing scale to see how much she had ‘lost’? I could not hold my laughter, and told her ‘I am not sure about your weight, but you have definitely lost your mind’. To this she promptly replied – ‘Noooo – Khush – you see if I have a glass of water, I will weigh 500gms more’, and I was like – Really!?
Weighing – is becoming an obsession. I know of people who weigh themselves not just daily and but after every meal and every time they use the loo! So now the scale and those numbers define their self-image. They cannot associate themselves for who they, but are identified by the number. You may be a good parent, you may be amazing at what you do or you may be a good person or anything – but still you choose to be unhappy because of how much you weigh. Does this make sense?
I really think it is time to THROW YOUR SCALE.
- Become more aware of how you feel instead of worrying about some number.
- Listen and get in touch with your to hunger signals instead of worrying that I might gain a kilo or gram.
- Stop counting calories and started seeking out food your body needs
- And most importantly – STOP picking apart every flaw or bulge and started seeing yourself as a whole person.
Give up the obsession with the number and focus on feeling Healthy, Light and Fit.
I am sure, by now you must itching to know the ‘results’ of following this practice! Like I have said before there are other ways to measure improvement besides looking at some number. You can always pay attention to how your clothes fit. You can measure yourself with a tape measure. You feel lighter, more energetic and people around you start Complimenting you 😉
So STOP worrying about your ‘size’ and how much you weigh. And this definitely does not mean Eat like a maniac and don’t care about what you eat – it means – eat sensibly, live sensibly, exercise – focus on being healthy and not looking thin! And trust me or rather your own body – for unless there are some major unknown medical issues, most people come to their own version of “healthy weight”, “healthy size” – when they are living a healthy life. So focus on nourishment, eat good clean homemade food, and stay active – this way you are on the right track than following some crazy diet for 2 weeks and then finally giving up coz-its-difficult-to-follow and cursing yourself.
So, how do you know it is Time for you to throw your Scale?
- You have fixed a specific number that you wanted to “be” with regards to your weight even if “being” that number means you starve or punish yourself in the name of exercise
- You wait to weigh yourself first thing in the morning, without-any-clothes, after going to the bathroom for the “best” results?
- You suddenly felt ugly when the scale showed that you were up a kilo or 2 from the day before?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, chances are you might also benefit from throwing your scale out.
Try it Out for a Month or 2! What is the big deal? I am sure letting go of worries about weighing a certain number – you definitely will have Lesser wrinkles 😉 . In fact, when you start living this way, you will feel empowered, more beautiful, confident and no more at the mercy of a number to define you. You will be able to connect to your inner self, your stomach, your body.
Sounds kinda cool!
Would love you hear about experience, once you try this.